Sweet and comforting Date and Walnut Cake is one of the nation’s favourite recipes, and just perfect for wintry weather.
Preparation time: 20min
Cooking time: 55-60min
Equipment: 20cm round deep, loose-bottom cake tin, parchment lined
- 200g stoned dates
- 150ml water
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g sunflower oil
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g chopped walnuts
- Icing sugar
- Line a 20cm round, deep, loose-bottom cake tin with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan 160°C, Gas 4.
- Put the dates and water into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool.
- Break eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and airy.
- Mix in the oil, followed by the self-raising flour. Stir in the date mixture and walnuts.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-60min.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20min before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Sieve a little icing sugar over the fully cooled date and walnut cake before serving.