Having racked up more than 17,000 sales in just over a month, Got It Covered for BBC Children in Need was heading for the No 1 spot in the UK’s Official Album Chart… before being relegated to the compilations chart today.
BBC Children in Need’s first album features songs by the likes of Helena Bonham Carter CBE, Olivia Colman CBE, David Tennant and Jodie Whittaker.
A host of acclaimed actors volunteered their time to play a part in this exciting charity album. They include:
- Helena Bonham Carter CBE who covered Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell
- Jim Broadbent who covered Blue Moon by Various Artists
- Olivia Colman CBE who covered Glory Box by Portishead
- Shaun Dooley who covered Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift
- Luke Evans who covered Smile by Nat King Cole
- Suranne Jones who covered Symphony by Clean Bandit
- Adrian Lester OBE who covered I Wish by Stevie Wonder
- Himesh Patel who covered All These Things That I’ve Done by The Killers
- David Tennant who covered Sunshine On Leith by The Proclaimers
- Jodie Whittaker who covered Yellow by Coldplay
Shaun Dooley, who masterminded the project for BBC Children in Need, is delighted with the result.
“When we began working on this incredibly special project many months ago, I couldn’t have dreamed that such a beautiful, joyful, heartfelt album would be produced,” he said.
“The fact that it was No 1 in the midweek album chart really is the icing on the top of what truly has been the most incredible few months.
“The album is still available to purchase now. So please do show your support for BBC Children in Need and grab a copy!”
Got It Covered secured the coveted No 1 spot in the midweek Official chart. However as different singers perform each track, it was decided to re-categorise it as a compilation.
The album is available to purchase on the BBC Children in Need website.
Each track was crafted and recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and Rak Studios in London.
The actors received expert guidance and mentoring from Brit and Mercury award-winning record producers and songwriters, Guy Chambers and Jonathan Quarmby. They were conducted by Steve Sidwell with the BBC Concert Orchestra.
Renowned vocal coach Mark De-Lisser also came on board to help the actors produce their tracks.
The album is released on Silva Screen Records. It was recorded as part of the 90-minute entertainment documentary, BBC Children in Need: Got It Covered. This was co-produced by BBC Studios and 20four7films and aired on BBC One.
The documentary is currently available to view on iPlayer. It will be repeated on BBC One after the 2019 Appeal Show at 12.30am on Saturday, November 16, 2019.