A tasty, protein-rich favourite from California Walnuts with the festive flavours of chestnut and cranberry.
Preparation Time: 15min
Cooking Time: 20-25min
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 180g pack whole chestnuts
- 150g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 50g cranberry sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 2tbsp fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 125ml hot vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Grease and line a 1kg loaf tin.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4min until golden. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the kidney beans and chestnuts in a food processor and chop roughly. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in the onions, walnuts, cranberry sauce, spice, herbs, and breadcrumbs. Season well. Mix in the stock, press into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25min or until golden.
- Cut into slices and serve with extra cranberry sauce and vegetables.
Press the mixture into large balls and bake for 15min to serve as part of a buffet. Try using cannellini beans or chick peas instead of the kidney beans.