Christmas wouldn’t be the same without warm, fragrant, homemade mince pies. This delicious vegan granola-inspired recipe from Lizi’s is bound to keep everyone happy!
Preparation Time: 20min
Cooking Time: 20min
Makes: 18 mince pies
- 225g cold vegan butter, diced
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g vegan mincemeat
- Lizi’s Original Granola, for topping
- Icing sugar, to dust
- To make the pastry, rub together the diced vegan butter and the plain flour. Mix in the golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Combine the pastry into a ball – don’t add any liquids – and knead it briefly. The dough will be fairly firm, like a shortbread dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6/fan 180ºC.
- Line 18 tin holes of two 12-hole shallow baking tins, pressing small (roughly walnut-sized) balls of pastry into each hole. Keep some of the pastry aside for the lids. Spread the pastry balls out to make pie-shaped cases, and spoon in the vegan mincemeat. Sprinkle over the granola.
- Roll out the remaining pastry for the lids. Use a star cutter (which has to be big enough to reach the sides of the pie cases) to create the pastry lids. If you’d rather use a different shaped cutter, ensure that the shapes reach the sides of the pie cases.
- Place the pastry lids on the pies, ensuring that they fit. Bake for 20min until the pies are golden.
- Leave the mince pies to cool in the tin for 5min, then remove and cool on a wire rack. To serve, lightly dust with some icing sugar. The mince pies will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container.